Problem Solving Therapy (PST)
Problem-solving therapy has been gaining popularity across developed nations including Australia as one of the preferred depression treatments. PST or Problem-Solving Therapy is commonly recommended towards recovering from negative impacts of stressful events. It has been successful in treating patients with depression related problems caused by various sad incidents or stressful moments of life such as divorce, loss of job or death of closed ones etc. Sometime such depression state may also trigger from acute medical illness such as cancer or heart disease or ongoing difficulties at personal front.
Across above cases, doctors or psychotherapist commonly recommends problem-solving therapy (PST) towards a goal oriented recovery; which helps bringing life to normal. Since, there has been a growing numbers of depressed people for various socio-cultural reasons across Sydney and Australia; PST has been recommended quite often by health consultants. Problem Solving Therapy is a form of psychotherapy which is centered on developing and improving a patient’s coping skills and enhancing their ability to handle upsetting life experiences.
Problem Solving Therapy is known to be a short-term therapy and usually treated for eight to sixteen sessions; the therapy can be conducted in both individual and group format. The therapy treatment is defined based on situation or psychological state of the patient. Problem-solving therapy has been found to be effective for a wide range of problems, including relationship difficulties, major depressive disorder, poor quality of life, emotional distress, suicidal ideation, generalized anxiety disorder and emotional distress related to critical medical illness etc.
How Problem Solving Therapy (PST) Works
During the treatment of PST, the therapist teaches/ trains the patients on a step-by-step process to solve their life problems. The aim of the treatment is to,
- identifying the cause of the depression related problems
- recommend problem specific solution for faster recovery solutions
- developing and implementing an action plan
- assessing on effective the problem-solving attempt
- psycho-education (to teach the patient skills to better deal with depression)
- interactive problem-solving exercises
- motivational homework assignments
Types of Problem-Solving Therapy Provide By Potentialz Unlimited
Potentialz Unlimited provides various general types of Problem Solving therapies:
• Social problem-solving therapy: Social Problem Solving Therapy is a recommended cognitive–behavioral process treatment through which patients identify effective solutions for coping with stressful, everyday problems in social settings. With Social Problem Solving Therapy, patients learn various skills to adapt, rather than employ a single coping strategy.
• Problem-solving for primary care settings: Potentialz Unlimited has a proven track record of problem solving for primary care settings, which is an effective treatment for mild to moderate psychological disorders, including depression.
• Self-examination problem-solving therapy: This treatment teaches patients to determine on their major goals, asses their various problems and apply problem-solving techniques as well as accept uncontrollable situations.
In addition to depression treatments, various other conditions such as anxiety, stress, deliberate self-harm, interpersonal relationship problems and unhappiness in work, home, or love life also can be treated successfully with PST. PST or Problem-solving therapy is one of the most endorsed therapy approach, since it helps people to deal more effectively with the wide range of difficulties and stressful problems that occur in everyday living. For more details please contact us.