Trauma & PTSD
Many people struggle with the impacts of trauma throughout their lives and try to understand exactly what they are going through.
Trauma is any event or incident that threatens our safety or survival. It impacts our nervous system and changes the way we used to be. This could also be the result of witnessing a traumatic event take place.
If you find yourself avoiding difficult memories, places, things or people, experience flashbacks, intrusive thoughts, feelings of fear/ anger or nightmares then you need treatment for trauma. There is sub-class within Trauma that is called Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
PTSD results from both direct indirect exposure to violence. Indirect exposure is the result of trauma being experienced by loved ones. Of late, significant emotional losses are also considered as traumatic stressful events.
As per the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual [DSM V], the current criteria for PTSD includes the following:
- Exposure to actual or threatened death, serious injury or sexual violence.
- Symptoms following the event such as intrusive memories, recurring dreams, flashbacks or other bodily reactions to cues related to the event.
- Avoidance of things associated with the event (for example: similar or actual location, people or related feelings or thoughts).
- A generally negative change in thoughts or mood following the event(s).
- Changes in level of reactivity or heightened arousal beginning or worsening after the event(s) (for example: being startled very easily, feeling “on edge,” or having difficulty sleeping).
How we can help
If you feel you are experiencing Trauma or PTSD, we assure you that help is just a call away.
Our team of psychologists at Potentialz Unlimited provide interventions for trauma which will help you through life’s challenges. We offer these psychological interventions for children, adolescents, couples and families.
Our team have a collective experience of over 45 years and offer evidence-based psychological therapies like CBT, Family Therapy, Play Therapy for children, Trauma Interventions. Our focus is to help individuals and families become resilient and live happier lives.