Loneliness and Isolation
Today, people all around the world are living fast paced lives, and several are time poor. Hence, loneliness and isolation have become the norm in the lives of individuals both personally and socially. Home and personal interactions are also being replaced by virtual ones. These factors contribute to an increase in individuals feeling loneliness.
Loneliness can lead to a number of health issues and impact an individuals physical and mental well being. We take a deeper look at these issues and look at the possible remedies.
Loneliness is defined as a state of mind, arising from a perceived lack of social contact while isolation arises from an actual lack of social contact. Loneliness and isolation lead to poorer physical and mental health issues such as depression, suicide, substance abuse and lack of meaning in life.
When can you feel lonely or isolated?
Loneliness or Isolation can be experienced at different points in life due to a various circumstances such as:
- Living alone without any family member
- Suffering from grief due to loss of a friend, family or partner
- going through relationship bumps such as divorce or breakup
- Retirement from work
- Change of jobs
- Relocating from home to a different city all alone
- Social anxiety
- Being bullied
- Insecurity with your sexuality
- Mental health issues such as depression or anxiety
Can loneliness and isolation affect health?
Humans are social animals and our mental health is connected with having good social interactions and healthy circle of family and friends to share our feelings. Absence of these connections can lead to loneliness, anxiety and depression. Loneliness and isolation can cause the following symptoms.
- Physical — such as headaches, illness, body pains, lack of sleep, lack of enthusiasm, exhaustion.
- Mental health issues — such as depression, anxiety, panic attacks, eating disorders
- Exhaustion — No enthusiasm and drive, tiredness.
- Sleep problems — Disturbed sleep, insomnia, nightmares
- Eating Disorders — such as overeating, emotional eating, lack of appetite
- Negative thoughts — You may get thoughts related to feeling of worthless, hopeless of your situation, or thoughts about suicide.
- Substance abuse — indulgence in regular intake of alcohol, drugs or addictive medications
Seeking Help for Loneliness
Help is available from a number of services such as Lifeline, Mens Health Helpline. You can also consult psychologists or counselors. If you wish to consult with leading psychologists in and around Bella Vista, you can get in touch with us at Potentialz Unlimited and our experienced Psychologists would be happy to help you through life’s challenges.